Saturday, May 4, 2013

Power Muffins (Blueberry Oat)


A girlfriend (Thanks, CK!) of mine sent me a link to this recipe from Pinterest and I remember thinking, "Oh, those look good, I need to make them." And then I forgot. So last week she came over for a play date and brought the muffins with her and  Sweet Pea, Bambino and I fell in love! They were amazing and healthy too! So later that evening I made the recipe with whatever I had around the house (No blueberries, boo.)  and Sweet Pea was eating them like Peggy Bundy and her bon bons. Granted, there is nothing better than fresh muffins out of the oven, but as the week continued she continued eating these muffins like they were the last muffins I would ever bake.

The version I made had no blueberries, since I had none, so yesterday I purchased blueberries and made the recipe again and of course despite Sweet Pea saying she was full after dinner, when she saw this plate sitting on the counter she couldn't resist. As I was bathing and feeding Bambino before bed, I can't count how many times Sweet Pea came around with a muffin in her hand. So between Sweet Pea and Hubby about a 1/4th of those muffins were gone by the time both kids went to bed. Yes, they are are that good.


Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup oats
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda (I never use baking soda so I just doubled to two teaspoons baking powder)
1/2 tsp salt
12 ounces nonfat greek yogurt (I used two cups of Chobani)
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons vegetable oil (The recipe says butter, but I always use oil when I bake) 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Sift together flour, baking powder (soda) and salt. Add oats and sugar to mixture.

3. Separately, mix together yogurt, eggs, oil and vanilla.

4. Combine both mixtures and gently fold in blueberries. 

5. Spray muffin tins with non stick cooking spray and pour batter into tins.

6. Bake until top is golden, 20-25 minutes. 

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 3
This is a pretty simple recipe, not a lot of steps and pretty straight forward.

The first time I made this I had no blueberries so instead used three bananas. Additionally, I had no plain greek yogurt, so I used two cups of peach Chobani, the chunks of peaches in the muffins were delightful. I also used 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose and substituted two eggs with three egg whites. 

When I made this last night I followed the recipe exactly except for also adding one banana and it was just as yummy as the other version.

My girlfriend mentioned that these muffins are a perfect base to add what you want. They are very healthy in that it contains oat, greek yogurt and fruit. It's a perfect mix of healthy ingredients, which is why I didn't mind that Sweet Pea was going crazy with these muffins! 

No comments:

Post a Comment