Sunday, June 2, 2013

Kyle Richards's Life is Not a Reality Show: A Surprisingly Light and Fun Read!


Let me preface this by saying that if you don't like the Real Housewives or if you don't like Kyle Richards, then you pretty much won't care for this book. Or, if you are unaware of what Real Housewives is or who Kyle Richards is, then you pretty much won't care for this book. But, if you are a crazy, obsessed fan of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and it's your favorite of the entire franchise and you can stomach Kyle Richards despite her move from victim to perpetrator on the show, you'll enjoy this book. (No, I wasn't describing myself.)

If you recall from an earlier post, a library was finally built around the corner from my house and so I've finally had the opportunity to read all the books I've been wanting to read. (No, they are not all books of Bravolebrities. Maybe just half of them.) And so I was excited when I got the email response to my book request that Kyle Richards's book was waiting for me at my library branch.

Initially when the book came out I thought it was an autobiography, and so I was curious to learn more about her life. She came from Beverly Hills, she and her sister were child stars and her older sister married into the Hilton fortune and her niece was Paris Hilton. For some reason I was intrigued and wanted to know more.

On Housewives of Beverly Hills Kyle is like that girl in high school that we all hate, yet secretly want to be her. She's loud and obnoxious so other girls can't stand her. It's not the boisterous personality they can't stand, it's just sheer jealousy because in reality they all want the good looking husband, the close knit family, successful career, the money, the popular circle of friends and of course all the attention on themselves. In season one I was a big Kyle fan, but then after the showdown with her sister at the end of the season and then going into season two a more aggressive side of her came out and I started to see her as the antagonist of the show and didn't care for her. That and the fact that her clothing style went from classic chic to bedazzled boho and I no longer wanted her wardrobe. But then why was I still following her on Twitter?

It was the contradiction of her lifestyle and persona that kept me so curious about her, while she drove a Maserati she doesn't have a nanny. While she has a collection of Chanel bags, she posted a photo of her daughter with a Missoni for Target  umbrella on Twitter. Even though she wore couture, she still spoke of how she packed her girls lunches for school every morning. And so I wanted to know more about this woman. On one hand she exuded wealth but on the other she was lamenting that she was just your average housewife who happened to live in the 90210.

So the book is not actually an autobiography, it is an advice book that includes many stories and well...is basically a journal The writing is so juvenile that you can blatantly tell when her editor threw in some high brow vocabulary because it does not match the writing style of the rest of the book. But the simple writing leads to a very light read, like you're actually reading Kyle's journal.

In Kyle's journal she discusses dating, marriage, kids, family, beauty and  in two pages the Housewives. (I think she was obligated by fans to discuss it, but contractually obligated not to share too much, thus the two pages.) She describes the courtship and marriage to her current husband husband (I do give her credit for not delving into her first marriage too much, respecting the man and the father of her first child), the birth of her children and the close knit relationships between her children and nieces and nephews. Some of the stories she shares gives insight to her aggressive personality on the show, she truly is someone that is passionate and cannot hold her tongue, thus getting into argument after argument with the other housewives.

While I did enjoy the stories about her past, there was some advice in there that I did not agree with, like a friend who cheated on her husband who she told to keep it to herself because the friend felt remorseful and wanted to keep her family intact. Or how a woman should never pay when on a date with a man, ever. I also did not care for how she perpetually wrote about her simplistic life meanwhile explaining about how she knows people in Beverly Hills who hire a nanny, get their hair and make up done every day and never see their children. I felt as if she was making herself look better at the expense of her friends and neighbors. It appeared she wants the public to know that even though she is from Beverly Hills, she's just like every other Midwestern Housewife out there that wears Louboutins and hires party planners to throw her parties and that the others in Beverly Hills are so far from her.

Oh, and her incessant use of the word "Ha!" drove me crazy. She would write something outlandish or ridiculous and follow it with a sarcastic laugh. Once or twice fine, but once or twice a page was a bit much. Apparently the editor chose to sprinkle in the SAT words but not take out the "Ha," bad move, editor, bad move.

Despite my grievances, if you're an obsessed Housewife of Beverly Hills fan with a fascination of Kyle Richards I recommend this book. (Wow, I sound stalkerish, don't I?) And actually, you'll find a softer side to her. While yes, you can see where her aggressive nature comes from, you also see a maternal side when she talks about her children and her take on parenting. Good read, no disappointment (as long as your expectations aren't for the great american novel) and can I just say that this beauty ignorant woman actually felt validated for using Pantene shampoo just like a Beverly Hills Housewife!

Images
RHOBH Cast
Kyle, mom and sister
Kyle and Car
Kyle and Family
Kyle and Daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment