Friday, June 21, 2013

Oreo Cookie Balls, A Recipe in Pictures

For Bambino's first birthday party I decided that rather than create a goody bag filled with potential choking hazards that were most likely produced in a sweat shop in an unknown island somewhere in the Baltic Sea where Party City does not have to follow federal regulations (what I usually do), I would follow in the footsteps of a friend of mine and just bake something as a parting gift.  Initially I was going to make some sort of Mickey Mouse pops (as Mickey was the theme) but after one attempt of trying to stick a lollipop stick into an Oreo and attaching mini Oreos as ears with hot chocolate and watching the entire thing crumble before I could even taste it, that idea went down the drain. 

Then Hubby mentioned cake balls (I was a little shocked considering how cumbersome it was to make them, but agreed since he promised to help), so as we were in HEB shopping for supplies suddenly the idea of truffles hit me! A friend of mine told me she thought they tasted much better than cake balls, so I looked up the recipe and it's actually easier to make than cake balls, no baking required. And so I decided truffles were the way to go. (Oh, truffle is the posh way of saying Oreo Cookie Balls.) 


Ingredients
1 package Oreo cookies (Feel free to step out of the box and try peanut butter Oreos or mint Oreos!)
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1 package of candy wafers
wax paper
1 package of mini Oreos (optional)

Directions
1. Crush the big cookies in a food processor and add in cream cheese until it turns into a brown paste.


2. Take out about a tablespoon at a time and form into a ball with your hands and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Continue for all of your batter.




3. Take your candy wafers and melt in the microwave in 30 second intervals. After 30 seconds, mix together and put back in microwave if it needs to be heated more. 

Make sure you mix the chocolate! As you see in the pictures below the first one is what it looked like when it came out of the microwave, and the one on the bottom is what it looked like after mixing- it melted completely. 


I doubled the recipe and did half with dark chocolate and the other half with white chocolate.


 4. While chocolate is melting, blend together the mini Oreos  so you can sprinkle on top of the chocolate covered balls.


5. Now that the chocolate is melted, dip the balls in the chocolate and cover completely. I dropped the balls in by hand and then used a spoon to coat the balls.


6. Once the chocolate is coated, immediately sprinkle with crumbled Oreo cookie, or drizzle with opposite color chocolate. You can either put melted chocolate in a ziplock bag and cut a whole in the corner and drizzle that way, or I just took a spoon and drizzled the chocolate. Not as pretty, but quick! 

This is your chance to get creative. Hobby Lobby sells all different kinds of colored chocolate for decoration. You could even use sprinkles or crumbles of any other cookie! 






As you can see, some came out pretty and others did not.



7. Let chocolate harden and then place in designated containers.

If you use candy wafers, then the chocolate will harden quickly, otherwise, if you use chocolate chips, place in the fridge to harden. Regardless, once you are finished and have wrapped your candy to desirability keep in fridge, remember, it does have cream cheese in it!

Perfect gift for birthday parties and even holidays! For teacher's appreciation day I bought boxes at Hobby Lobby and gave some to the staff. They were well appreciated and cheap on my end, perfect!




 . 

2 comments:

  1. This is so timely. I have a child's birthday party to make food and treats for this weekend. I purchased the cake pop pan and tried it out but it's so time consuming (and I'm a little short on patience anyway) I don't know how I'll be able to make enough balls for the crowd we're expecting. The truffles are an awesome idea! They are so pretty and look delicious. I will be making these instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking it out, Karen! I made them a week in advance and kept them in the fridge since I knew party weekend would be too busy. Just check the expiration date on the cream cheese and you will be fine to make in advance.

    ReplyDelete