Friday, June 7, 2013

Peach Banana Bread


Peaches were on sale at HEB this past week for .$47 a pound so of course I had to buy about seven that were completely hardened, I assumed had awhile to ripen. But apparently, peaches can quickly ripen so what at once had the consistency of apples rapidly turned into soft, luscious peaches in about a day. And so I had seven ripened peaches that were bordering on shriveling up so I was desperate for a quick recipe.

I didn't want to make peach pie or cobbler because that would have to be kept in the fridge and Hubby would be less likely to munch on it every time he walked by the kitchen (although he did frequent the fridge when we had leftover cake balls from Bambino's birthday party). So  I went hunting for a peach muffin recipe. I came across a decent recipe that I figured I would  turn into peach banana bread since I had a pathetic looking banana sitting in the fruit basket. And I generally prefer breads over muffins because they bake longer and give that sweet, golden hardened crust on top. As a child my brother and I would always eat that crust and leave the middle of the banana bread behind, like a lofty dog digging through garbage only eating the scraps of the kobe beef and leaving the chuck behind.

So I took the recipe and cut back on the richness of it and made peach banana bread! The results were a success as seen with how many times  Hubby quickly devoured a piece as he was walking through the kitchen last night. Granted, straight out of the oven it is warm and fresh in the mouth, so anything tastes good, but once it cooled while it could have used a little more oil, it still recieved Hubby's approval as seen with the couple of slices I watched him eat tonight.

Click here for the original recipe.

Ingredients
3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I was very stingy with the oil here. Could easily up to 1/2 cup.)
2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 Tablespoon fat free milk
1 ripened banana, mashed
6  peaches, peeled, pitted and pureed

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.

2. In a separate bowl combine vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, milk, mashed banana and pureed peaches.

3. Combine dry and wet ingredients. Grease a bundt pan and pour batter into pan. Bake in oven about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the bread comes out clean. (Honestly, I can't remember how long I baked it for.)

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
Overall pretty easy recipe. The original recipe was something an amateur concocted and posted on All Recipes and I just took the recipe and made it a little healthy. (I'm sorry, but 1 1/4 cup oil for this recipe is just preposterous!) The most daunting part of the recipe is peeling and pitting the peaches, especially when they are small peaches.

Otherwise, enjoyed by all even my girlfriend who came over today and tried a slice, she was impressed by the fresh peaches, said they give a nice tang in contrast to the sweet banana. Well who knew I could create a culinary masterpiece out of rejected fruit?

No comments:

Post a Comment