Saturday, June 8, 2013

Revenge Wears Prada: There's a Sequel to Devil Wears Prada?


The book Devil Wears Prada actually disappointed me, for some reason I had high expectations for a book from an author I didn't even know. I had heard that she epitomized chick lit (The literary version of chick flicks) so I thought I'd give it a try. I was highly unimpressed with the book, I thought the writing involved far too much description of the clothing and less about the plot line. It was quite a long book, thus there was a lot of description of Prada, Gucci and Hermes oh my!

So when the movie came out you'd think I wasn't too interested, but quite the contrary I was anxious to see the movie. How could what I have perceived as a snooze worthy book turn into a movie starring Meryl Streep, The Queen of Hollywood. (My term, not Hollywood's.) So I watched the movie and fell in love! 

This book was meant for the big screen, the typical clothing you would imagine a fashionista working for a fictional Vogue-esque type magazine was seen, but you could easily pay attention to the plot without having to skip over five adjectives to describe her skirt. I found the movie to be brilliant, perhaps one of my all time favorites. Every time it is on television I have to sit and watch at least until a commercial break. Meryl Streep does an amazing job as Anna Wintour...err Miranda Priestly and Stanley Tucci as Miranda's little lap dog, it was all so good. And Emily Blunt really deserves kudos for her Gucci totem poll climbing ways. Who didn't get a laugh when she devoured the chocolate pudding in the hospital or shed a little tear when she tells Andy's replacement that she had big shoes to fill. And lastly lets not forget Vincent Chase's small but pivotal roll as Andy's neglected boyfriend. Even Giselle Bundchen's appearance doesn't gag me! To this day when I hear U2's City of Blinding Lights images of Andy riding around Paris at night comes to mind.
So when I was perusing through twitter the other day and saw that Emily Giffin (Don't get me started on my other favorite book/movie Something Borrowed) had given away a free copy of Revenge Wears Prada I screamed with delight. How did this book come out and I wasn't aware of it! So I went to Amazon and saw that it came out on Tuesday, so I wasn't that far out of the loop.

According to the synopsis on Amazon it's ten years later and Andrea and Emily have become partners and created a bridal magazine. She then meets the man of her dreams (So apparently Vincent Chase is completely out of the picture) and plans her wedding but on her wedding day she receives a doom and gloom letter that will change everything. I guess that's where the story starts off? I assume it's some kind of sabotage or blackmail from Miranda Priestly? Oh how I love a good chick lit book! 

I quickly went to my library webpage to see if they had it in and if they did if I figured I would be number 50 on the wait list. Yay, they have 19 copies available throughout the county, and I'm only number 10 on the waiting list! Here's hoping we have some speed readers around my 'hood and I won't still be waiting for the book by the time the movie comes out, which I'm assuming is inevitable.

Link

4 comments:

  1. It was a great read, but not all I wanted it to be. I LOVE the chick lit genre, but this one left me wanting. Then I jumped right into a new book by Christina George, The Publicist thepublicistnovel.com and I instantly felt like I did a decade ago when I read The Devil Wears Prada. I can see it being a movie, but if they do I hope they don't take to much of the book out of it as it was a great summer start off read for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chandra. I'll have to check it out at the library!

      Delete
  2. Hey Tiffin Girl! I just spotted this note and thought I'd drop in and offer you a review copy, if you're interested in reading it. What a fun site you have! Thanks for the entertainment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina! I'd love a copy to read and review. (I checked my library and they don't have it.) Thanks! Email me at thetiffingirl@gmail.com.

      Delete