Thursday, August 22, 2013

An Old School Jillian Michael's Workout I've Just Discovered!


Yesterday a girlfriend of mine texted me that she was interested in borrowing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I had mentioned that the DVD was also on youTube for free so this morning, since I'm in a zone of doing new workouts that are offered for free on youTube, I decided to go old school and do level 2 of the 30 day shred. Once that video finished I wanted another 20 minute workout. As I went to the computer to switch to something else, I came across Jillian Michael's Cardio Kickbox Workout.

Now, not to be confused with Jillian Michaels Kickbox Fastfix which is one of her newer workouts. This one is old school, like so old school that she's a little awkward at the start of it, having yet to adopt her at home trainer persona and still grappling on to her character on The Biggest Loser. This DVD came out in 2005, 3 years older than the 30 day shred and just quite possibly may be her first DVD to ever have come out, thus the bit of awkwardness. (You can tell it's old considering Jillian is wearing a pair of pants with Abercrombie sprawled along the bottom, and worse, there is a woman wearing men's cargo pants with a belt at the waist. Who wears that to workout? Are we in a 1990s hip hop video?)

I had seen this DVD at Target, and was intrigued, but since I own Kickboxing Fastfix I chose not to duplicate my library with another kickbox workout, especially with the same trainer. Well, I am very lucky that this DVD was available for free on youTube, because it kicked my butt! (No pun intended, ok maybe a little one.)

So I did level two of the 30 Day Shred which worked me out, considering I hadn't done that workout in months. Next up was the cardio kickbox routine. I'm not sure what level it is, but considering it's only 25 minutes long, I can only assume that there are other workout on this DVD as well, but this is the only one I could find for free.

I didn't do the cool down from the previous workout because I assumed that the warm up from the next workout would bring down my heart rate, negative. She goes straight into 20 squats side to side. Whoa, girlfriend, I need a breather for a second. And then on to front kicks and then plie jumps. And that was just the warm up.

The full workout consists of what seems to be two circuits, one longer than the second. (It's not as structured as her other DVD's) Jillian basically just throws out move after move and the number of reps to do. Your body basically hits a moderately high rate and stays there. This was obviously before interval training became the key to weight loss. Regardless, it was a really good workout because it kept my heart pumping.

If you're new to kickboxing, there are no crazy combinations where you need an appendix to understand what's going on. (Like in JM's newer kickboxing workout.) It's basic moves like punches and kicks and the craziest combination is a squat and kick.

At the end, when you think you've concluded and Jillian is high five-ing her workout crew, one of them asks about doing 30 jump ropes. To which Jillian tries to pull out her Biggest Loser character and says 30 jump ropes, 20 jumping jacks and 5 push-ups. But then as you start doing them she changes them to 30 jump ropes, 30 jumping jacks and 10 push ups. I'm pretty sure it was staged, like when you see a band live and they leave the stage saying the show has concluded only for them to come back on stage to sing their biggest hit song of the moment. Obviously staged because when the workout actually concluded  the music slowed down to cool down music. (Think more of Bruno Mars's When I was Your Man and less of  Bruno Mars's Treasure.) The cool down was a quick 2 minute stretch that was a perfect ending.

Overall, great surprise workout! While the awkward meter was a little high, you gotta give Jill some credit, she was able to parlay this DVD into entire empire. Despite the uncomfortable smile and laugh and the needing to pull her hair into a ponytail midway through (unintended break, yay!) I thought it was a rigorous workout and will be putting it into heavy rotation in my workout library!


Links

No comments:

Post a Comment