Thursday, August 1, 2013

Carrot Banana Bread


It's time for another bread/cake recipe! You know how I love my baked goods and so since I've found another variation of banana bread I figured I had to share it with you.

So this time I had a superfluous amount of carrots in my fridge. We haven't been going through the usual amount, yet for some reason I kept having carrots on the grocery list and purchasing them anyways. And to not let anything go to waste, immediately I knew I had to make some carrot cake. I didn't have any crushed pineapple (Requisite for carrot cake) and didn't want to use any of the fresh pineapple for the cake (It's so sweet on it's own!) so I decided to look up some sort of carrot bread sans the pineapple.

Immediately I searched carrot muffins. I chose to search muffins because I've often found that there are more a variety of muffin recipe than breads, and since it' the same batter I decided to do a muffin search. I came across quite a bit of recipes and many with a mix of carrot and some other fruit. Since I had some pathetic looking bananas sitting around I searched carrot banana muffins to knock out the carrots and bananas in one fail swoop.

Aha! And here is a healthy recipe for carrot banana muffins, perfect! But I chose to make it into a bread/cake in a bundt  pan since I love that sweet and golden crust on the edge of bread when it's been baking for an hour. 

The results? Amazing! It was a very healthy dish, no oil and I chose to substitute half the white flour with whole wheat flour and you really couldn't tell that it lacked any oil. After gobbling down three slices after work on Monday Hubby's only response was, "Do you always put these carrots shavings in it?" My response, "No, but you're welcome for your vegetable intake for the day" 


I'm going to list out the recipe that I made, which was doubled.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder (I don't use baking soda, hate the taste, so I replaced it with more baking powder)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs (I did not double the eggs)
1 Tablespoon honey
2 bananas, mashed (I pureed)
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup applesauce

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together white flour, wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

2. In a separate bowl mix together sugar, eggs, honey, bananas, carrots and applesauce.

3. Mix both bowls together and pour into a greased bundt pan.

4. Bake for about an hour, keeping an eye on the bread. Once a knife comes out clean, your bread is done. 


Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
Another easy one, folks. Yes, a little added work to have to shred the carrots in the food processor and then wash the food processor and take apart all the obnoxious parts only to find bits of carrot in places you cannot get out, but other than that not too bad. I didn't even mind pureeing the banana in the Baby Bullet! (The Magic Bullet's predecessor or marketing gimmick. You decide.) 

One thing I will note about this is that I felt the bread had an overpowering taste of nutmeg, something I'm not too fond of outside of pumpkin pie. The recipe actually calls for 1/2 tsp (When doubled, which is what I used.) but in the recipe above I only listed 1/4 tsp. But the next time I make this I think I just may omit it completely in order for the cinnamon flavor to shine through.

Otherwise great, healthy variation from traditional banana bread! 

No comments:

Post a Comment