Thursday, September 5, 2013

Spinach, Black Bean and Sweet Potato Taquitos


I admit, not the best of photos considering you can't see the filling, but don't let the pathetic, slouchy tortillas fool you, these taquitos are amazing! 

So I quite often make a baked, ground turkey meat taquito for Hubby and the kids (Well, the kids take their dainty bites and then resort to eating something else for dinner), but I had yet to make a vegetarian version for me. I have, on a couple of occasions, made black bean and sweet potato enchiladas, but never a taquito! 

Well, last week I was in the mood for some sweet potato and black bean enchiladas so I bought some sweet potatoes and tortillas and went to make the dish, only to realize I did not buy any tomatillos for the sauce! When I make enchiladas, my favorite sauce is the verde sauce and it's very simple to make, just boiled tomatillos, cilantro, onions, water and salt pureed together. And oh so good. I was about to give up all together on making the dish, but I realized there has to be some other way to make the dish without the sauce. So I racked my brain and realized, taquitos! I could make the same filling and then place it in the tortillas and bake in the oven. And what do you know, it tasted even better than the enchiladas! 

So when I went to make the dish I also had some spinach in the fridge and decided to throw that in there as well. This recipe came out so, so well. And oh so filling! Two full taquitos, with no sides, was good enough for a meal and kept me feeling very full. So even though I had to eat this for several days (Nobody else in the household appreciated this dish), I had no problems consuming the leftovers, still so good when popped into the oven.

I have no exact recipe to link this too, but I loosely got the idea from this recipe.

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup fresh spinach
1 whole sweet potato, chopped and cooked (I steamed it) 
1 15oz can of black beans drained or 1 1/2 cups cooked
4-5 sprigs of cilantro, chopped.
1/2 a medium size onion. chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
Low fat shredded cheese (Amount based on taste)
Tortillas (About a packet of 10. Depends on how much filling you put in each.)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375. Heat vegetable oil on medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic and saute until softened. 

2. Add in spinach and saute until wilted. Add in black beans and sweet potato, saute.

3. Throw in cumin, chili powder and salt and saute. Taste to determine spice level and add more as needed. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in cilantro once you take it off of the heat and mix. 

4. Open up tortilla and put filling in center in a vertical line. Sprinkle cheese based on desirability. (I am not a big cheese fan, so I only put a smidgen for taste.) Roll up and place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat until you finish all of your filling. (For extra crispy taquitos, brush with vegetable oil prior to placing in oven.)

5. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes, until tortillas are crispy. 

And that's it! This is a great, vegetarian dish with much flavor. It has to be one of my favorite dishes I've ever made (outside of baked goods, of course), and sadly I'm the only one in the house who eats it!

Amateur Cooking Difficulty Scale: 4
This one is pretty simple, outside of steaming the sweet potatoes before hand and having an extra step of filling tortillas (which can be a bit tedious), but well worth the extra step. 

If you're a Vegetarian or a Meatless Monday kind of person, this is the dish for you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment