Monday, December 16, 2013

Is it Ok to be Dressed Head to Toe in Target?

If you've read my blog, you're well aware that fashion has always been a passion of mine, but I've never been the one to have the confidence nor the willingness to open my pocket book to sport current trends. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not completely donned in sweats, fanny packs and Birkenstocks, I do try to conform to what fashion dictates is acceptable, but not to the point where I'm pulling a Carrie Bradshaw hoe down kind of outfit, I do draw the line somewhere in conformity.

image

I'm much more of an aspiring Charlotte, but rather than wearing designers like Ralph Lauren and Donna Karen, I'm more of the Old Navy version of the classics.

Ralph Lauren

So I suppose that the best way to describe me is Andy Sachs before the Miranda Priestly makeover (Well, let's give credit where credit is due, the Nigel makeover), but with the actual interest of dressing like Runway girls. 


Part of why I do not invest in current trends is because I am a stay at home mommy. Now, much like many a stylist on a makeover show, I know what you are going to stay, just because you stay at home with your children, doesn't give you permission to completely disregard you're appearance (Ahem, Clinton Kelly with your condescending tone!). But unfortunately, if you saw me dropping Sweet Pea off to school, you'd probably submit a photo of me for an episode of What Not to Wear.

To give myself a little bit of credit, part of the reason I don't make efforts is because I live in Texas where summer lasts from April to November, so when it's 100 degrees outside and your lugging your children in and out of car seats in the sweltering heat while wearing skinny jeans a silk blouse and cute sandals (Since it is warm) will leave you with extreme pit stains on your beautiful shirt not to mention sweat on the inside of your jeans. Being fashionable is the last thing I care about when the sun and humidity are pounding down my face. When I'm hot, it's not pretty, lets just say it gets so bad that I just may cut a witch.

Oh, and add on to that where am I going? H-E-B? Gymboree? So I need to be wearing designer duds at parachute time? I'm not going to spend an arm and a leg in order to look put together.


And so these past few months it's been a lot cooler than usual so I decided to go out and make some winter purchases. I started perusing fashion blogs to get an idea of trends since I've become out of sync with what's fashionable ever since my expanding waistline with baby number 1, and I found that lot of blogs out there are buying their staples at JCrew and Anthropologie. I'm not going to spend $200 on a pair of jeans that once April comes around I will put in the back of the closet and it will not come back until December. I kid you not, when I say I'd cut a witch when overheated, I'm not kidding. 

And so I decided to purchase some skinny jeans, leggings and tunics from Old Navy and Target. No, they aren't JCrew, but does that really matter? When I have two children to put through college, I choose not to buy my entire wardrobe at a high end retailer. Don't get me wrong, I think nothing less of those high end retailers, and truly believe that the key to a versatile, trendy wardrobe is mixing price points, but at this point in my life (specifically when I'm not currently bringing in an income), most of my wardrobe comes from the low end of the retail spectrum (Or recycling of clothes that have been in my wardrobe for x years), but I refuse to believe that I can't look cute and put together simply because I'm not buying expensive pieces!

And so I'm going to debunk the societal belief that you are less of a put together person if you are dressed completely from Target (or Old Navy). In fact, I shall start a crusade saying Target is Ok! If Missoni can do a line for Target, why can't it be ok. (Is my point less valid if I don't care for Missoni?)

2 comments:

  1. You crack me up. I love this post! Target is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christian Louboutin Louis Spikes Sneakers are very great with high quality and cozy feeling. http://www.clouboutinsneakers.com
    Christian Louboutin Rantus Orlato Women Leopard Printed Sneakers
    Christian Louboutin Rantus Orlato High Top Womens Suede Sneakers Brown
    Christian Louboutin Rantus Orlato High Top Womens Sneakers Silver
    http://www.clouboutinsneakers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_21&products_id=999

    ReplyDelete